We have been watching two momma turkeys and their babies the last couple of days. The babies are so cute, so little and they follow their mommy around. Tonight during dinner we saw the turkeys fly up into the tree at the back of our yard, and then the babies flew up too. So being the brilliant person that I am, I decided this would be a great photo opportunity. I got my camera and went out the side door so that I could ease up on them quietly. I couldn't get a real good shot because of the lighting so I kept easing up the hill. The turkeys were clucking at each other, I thought this was so cute. The momma turkeys then flew out of the tree and went on their way, or so I thought. All of a sudden the mother hens clucked at the babies, the babies flew down and a momma started CHARGING at me. Neck stretched out, wings stretched out and running full speed. I turned and ran...stumbled...down the hill, hit the edge of the trampoline, spun toward the grass, tripped and started to fall. Thoughts running through my head; oh no my expensive camera, must save camera, dang the camera, throw it at the turkey to save myself. I decide to gracefully roll into the grass and save the camera. I then noticed the turkey was still after me and I screamed for Damon, hoping that he was watching. I got to my feet and Damon was there and the turkey ran off. I scrapped up my leg and arm, and my adrenaline is pumping. Luckily I didn't break anything, it would totally stink to miss out on my Vegas trip because of a turkey chase. So life lesson learned...don't approach wild animals and their babies. DUH! 
11 years ago





4 comments:
I wish so much I had been there to see all of that. I would have helped - of course - but it also might have been kind of funny to watched once the terror wore off.
I would have been no use, you know the jello arms when we laugh...Gobble Gobble Gobble - Thanksgiving will never be the same for you!
Glad you are ok.
Ohhhhhh Steve!! Ohhhhhhh!! I'm trying so hard not to laugh, but ohhhhh!!! This is such a horrible thing to happen but sooo soo funny at the same time! I'm really glad you are ok and the the expensive camera survived. Very brave of you to go for it and risk your own well being. :) hehehehe
Damon is your knight in shining armor! hehehe
oh hey, and great picture of those cute babies!
Thanks so much for your prayers. I really appreciate it.
When do you head out to Vegas? I'm sure you guys will have a blast!!
Well have a fun weekend and you know we miss you guys too!!!
xoxo,
Bonnie
Lizz came into my office to show me the motorcycle pic of you and Jennifer. I started reading "Turkey Run" and was laughing so hard I was crying. My glasses fogged up and I had to clean them a few times I was crying/laughing so hard. I sure wish Damon had the video camera on.
Post a Comment